From Hamsterworks Wiki!
As a learning exercise I am re-implementing the Atari Crystal Castles arcade game in an FPGA.
Brief overview of components used
- A single 6502 processor.
- Five 2764 8kB ROMs for code (1x8kB, plus two banks of 16kB each)
- 32kB DRAM for video memory, physically organised as 16,384 16 bit words.
- 2 x 6116 SRAMS for Sprite control and working RAM.
- Two 2764 8kB ROMs holding sprites
- Two 2149H SRAM used as a motion object buffer
- A 32x8 SRAM used to hold colour 4 bit -> 8 bit colour mappings
- Two 'POKEY' Audio chips.
The amount of memory used is a big hindrance to implementing this in and FPGA. But I recently got a Pipistrello board, and this will be a perfect target for this.